Monday, March 7, 2011

Flirty by Thirty--I Feel Pretty

I got this framed picture a couple of weeks ago from my brother and sister-in-law. Yes, they made the frame...probably cut down the tree themselves too. Now I just need to find the perfect place to put it.

I thank Penelope for bringing me all sorts of traits I didn't have in abundance: patience, determination, consistency. One I didn't expect was more self-confidence in my appearance. I look at Penelope with her big blue eyes and huge smile and think "what a beautiful girl!!" I really do not see that she looks like me, I just see Penelope. But I've learned not to argue with people because they will get in an argument with me over it. Over the past year I've had many many strangers stop me to tell me how much my daughter looks like me.

Old man at Target "What a darling little girl. Oh, she is your spitting image!" (I'm happy that one happened. Who uses the term "spitting image" anymore?)
Woman crossed the playground to say "No one would ever question that you're her mama"
Waitress: "She is you with blue eyes. You have a mini-me"
Little girl (age 4 or 5) in line for Santa stared at us a couple of minutes and said "Do you know this girl looks like you?"

I wouldn't say I've had terrible self-esteem. Never thought I was gorgeous, but cute I guess. I do have those tendencies to notice the flaws I dislike--squinty eyes, freckles, dull hair. Yet when I look at Penelope I just see a beautiful girl, and everyone says she looks just like me. Makes me feel good...or possibly I'm finally feeling comfortable in my skin after 30 years? If I ever get too confident I can remember this conversation we had with an elderly relative a few months ago.

Relative: Penelope, I can't tell if you look like your mommy or daddy!
Chris: Everyone says she looks exactly like Laura.
Relative: Oh, really? (pause to look at Penelope) No, I don't think so. Penelope, you are just so pretty!
(very awkward silence)

I chalked it up to old age and laughed it off. I hope when I'm 75 I don't accidentally insult people!



4 comments:

Brenden+Nikki said...

I LOVE that picture! So so cute! And I think she looks just like you too. Bah ha I love old people. I still have old people ask me if Collin is a girl or boy. I'm like "seriously!?" (well that was about 6 months ago), but still!

Jan said...

The picture is fabulous!!!! And you are guilty of what we all are....we focus on our flaws. However, you are a beautiful woman with a beautiful daughter that looks like her mama. The most important thing is that you are beautiful in more than appearance! I am so proud of you!!! I love you all!

Amy Randolph said...

Ok, first, I love the picture. And, you are probably right about them chopping down the tree themselves :)
I agree with Aunt Jan that you and Penny are both beautiful!
I have the opposite problem where no one ever says either girl looks like me, but everyone says they are adorable ;)
Side note: I have started telling Molly that she is a beautiful most importantly because she has a beautiful heart. Now, whenever I tell her that she is beautiful, she replies, "because I have a beautiful heart!"

Jenn and Henry said...

Hate to burst your bubble but we didn't cut the tree down ourselves.... :) I like using 'old' wood thats got a great weathered look... for this frame I sent henry across the road near our house to yank a long board from the perfectly weathered and fallen fence that has been ignored by the new neighborhood that was built just beyond. I laughed outloud after reading the conversation with the old relative :) I could see myself making a similar mistake! Don't be so hard on yourself- you're beautiful!!! And don't cut your hair! I love it long!